Sunday, November 17, 2013

On to chemo Phase 2


 
I’m in my fourth and last cycle of the Adriamycin/Cytoxin   cocktail. In December I begin a new one featuring Taxol. 

Side effects are still mild but annoying. Chemo Brain is more noticeable – general fuzziness and inability to concentrate for very long. Takes me a lot longer to finish a book these days. 

Fatigue is frustrating. I take a lot of naps. 

I’d estimate that I’ve lost about 70% of all hair.  I still have patches where stubble grows on my scalp so I shave it off weekly.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to have only patches of hair here and there if I didn’t shave. Have not worn either of my wigs yet. 

 White Blood Cell count is still an issue but I don’t go out much these days so I’m hoping that will be enough to minimize the opportunities for infection. 

My biggest complaint is still my non-functioning taste buds. Eating is more of a chore than anything.  I could whine about this for days.  My chemo treatments are on Thursdays so the Thanksgiving holiday gives me an extra week off before I start the next drug.  Maybe the extra time will give me a chance to taste Thanksgiving dinner. 

I’ve been concerned about possible Taxol side effects – mostly neuropathy and bone pain.  But my concerns have eased after reading an article stating that the protocol I’ll be on should minimize those.  I’m scheduled for 12 weeks of once a week infusions as opposed to the protocol calling for four or six weeks of Dense Dose infusion. I’m hoping that the lower dose over a longer time will be relatively easy.  My oncologist says it will be.   

Trying to decipher the insurance paperwork is an interesting challenge. I’ve learned that just because a hospital is part of the insurance network, doesn’t mean that its contract staff is also part of the network.  I’ve incurred more “out of network” costs than expected.  But that’s another post. 

All in all, things are going well.




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment