Monday, September 23, 2013

Inquiring minds want to know: How does it feel to be missing one boob?



Mostly it doesn’t feel much different. Physically or emotionally.

It sure looks strange, though. 

If I were 20 years (or more) younger, it would probably have had a much different emotional effect.  When I was still conscious of my sexual image, this physical loss would have been more difficult to handle.  I’m very glad that I didn’t have to cope with it then.  But two months before my 71st birthday, sexual image is a just a memory.  I’m far beyond high heels, push-up bras, short skirts, etc.  The beach will never see me in a bikini again (and hasn’t for many years now).

But I do want to present a public image of normalcy.  I got my first “training bra” last Friday.  The first post-mastectomy bra is a very soft cotton affair that has pockets on both sides for a pad.  (It also has a pocket to hold my drain). The pad is very soft so as to not irritate the incision. So I don’t look lopsided. That eliminates any self consciousness Here’s a pic from a catalog.


 
Once I’ve healed sufficiently, I’ll graduate to bras that look like “normal” bras like this one.


 

These also have pockets on both sides. Instead of just a pad, I’ll have a prosthesis that has approximately the same look, feel, and weight as a breast. The prostheses come in various sizes so I should end up looking pretty balanced.

The good news is that Medicare covers the cost of up to 6 bras and 2 prostheses per year. 

Eventually I’ll also get a bathing suit that has pockets for my fake boob, but Medicare won’t pay for that.

The bottom line is that, everything considered, it’s no big deal.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Very functional. Hey, now you have a place to put your lipstick when you don't have pockets in your outfit. The bright side of things right? :)

    I'm glad this part of the process isn't causing any additional distress. You continue to amaze me mommy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second Karen's comment. Your positive approach is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete