Friday, September 6, 2013

Let's get this show on the road!



Nothing has changed, but I definitely feel better today after meeting with my Medical Oncologist.   She’s very focused and seems to be very knowledgeable.  Everything I’ve learned about her has been positive.

First comes the surgery. I’ll have a mastectomy – but can’t even do the scheduling for that until next week.

Then comes the chemotherapy.  Preparation for that begins next week with an Echocardiogram.  The following week I have a PET scan to see if there’s been any detectable spread of the cancer.  The week after that I meet with the Medical Oncologist (MO) again to plan the chemo. Because my cancer is triple-negative, she needs to do some work to decide which drugs will work best.  I expect (hope) that I’ll have had the surgery before my next appointment with the MO.

I’ll also have a consultation visit with a Radiation Oncologist next week even though that therapy won’t begin until I’m done with chemo.

I’ll also be meeting with a genetic counselor because of the extensive history of cancer in my family.  At my age, I don’t expect to get any personal benefit from this counseling, but I do expect to acquire information that will be valuable to my kids.

Just getting the process started has a positive effect on my frame of mind.  I may have mentioned before that I’m not good at waiting.  In my ideal world, I’d have the surgery tomorrow and then get started on the chemo after a few days of healing.

I’m not looking forward to chemo. I expect it to be quite difficult.  But I’ve always said that I can put up with anything as long as I know it is temporary.  This will be my opportunity to see if I can really pull that off.

In the meantime, I have a schedule of appointments which means that the wheels are finally turning.  Forward progress!!!



 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment