Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Real Fake Boob!!!

 

My surgeon finally gave me the OK to get a breast prosthesis.  This is a big deal. 

The mastectomy “training bra” I’d been wearing has only a very lightweight cotton puff to try to fill the empty space.  It’s better than nothing for going out in public, but it has no real support so it still gives a pretty lopsided effect when paired with a droopy 70 year old boob.  I’m still wearing mostly the t-shirts and knit shirts I wore living on the boat and they highlight the mismatch.  So I’ve been borrowing a few of Neal’s shirts which are big enough and hang loose enough to sort of camouflage the disparity between right and left sides. 

But now I have a “real” fake boob. 

Breast prostheses are silicone forms that have both shape and weight to simulate a natural breast. 

Mastectomy bras are pretty much like regular bras except that each cup has an extra layer of fabric to provide a pocket to hold a prosthesis.  

So now I go out looking like the old me  again  – except, of course, for the bald head.

 

 

 

2 comments: