Saturday, October 5, 2013

First Chemo Treatment

 

The first Chemo day went very well – once the snafu at the reception desk was resolved.  Someone had apparently crossed off my name as though I’d already been called.
 
First my Oncologist again reviewed the possible side effects, and emphasized the danger of infections.  She’s committed to reducing side effects when it is possible and dealing with them quickly when they occur.  I have 3 prescribed anti-nausea drugs in addition to the one administered by IV plus steroids, plus anti anxiety meds. My own little pharmacy.. 

Side effects range from Annoying to Dangerous. 
At the bottom of the scale,Annoying ones include hair loss and skin and nail issues.  Next up the scale are the ones that can be managed such as insomnia, headaches, and bowel issues. Then come the tolerable but unmanageable ones like mouth sores. The lining of your mouth consists of fast growing cells – the ones killed by chemo drugs. Discomfort can be eased a little, but not eliminated. The Dangerous one is infection.  Chemo drugs attack all fast growing cells and that includes bone marrow where blood cells are born.  This leaves a chemo patient susceptible to infection.  A temperature above 100.4 is deemed a medical emergency.

Then it was off to the Chemo lounge.  There are rows of recliners, each with its own IV pole. There are also chairs for drawing blood, and chairs for those who are accompanying the patient and want to be near.

First they draw blood for an analysis to make sure that administering the drugs will be safe.

I’ve got to say than having an implanted infusion port is worlds better than having a needle stuck in a vein over and over.

Once the blood test is done and is ok, it’s off to a recliner. The nurse hung 3 IV bags and hooked them up so that she simply had to turn one off and the next one on.  First is a combination anti-nausea drug and a steroid.

The steroid also has anti-nausea properties, but is primarily anti-inflammatory as well as medicine for autoimmune diseases and some skin conditions.  Skin problems are a likely side effect of the chemo drugs. 

Next is the Adriamycin, known among chemo patients as The Red Devil.  When that’s finished, the Cyclophosphamide.  This whole thing takes a couple of hours.

They taped up the needle and tube in my port because I’d be going back the next day for an infusion of fluids and a shot of Neulasta.

So on Friday, I showed up for my fluids and shot.  After filling your body with toxins one day, you’re supposed to be spending the following two days guzzling water to get them all out of your system.  My Oncologist helps ensure this by ordering a fluid infusion on day 2.  They pumped a liter of fluid through my port.

Neulasta is a drug to help rebuild the blood cells killed by the chemo drugs.  It is given as a shot in the arm.

So as of now everything is good.  No side effects have shown up yet.  I go back next week for blood work, and then the following week for the next chemo treatment.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I wonder how long it will be before I start losing my hair.



 

3 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds like a lot!!! It's weird that so much can be put in and have somewhere to go. I'm so happy to hear that it went well. You are one tough cookie!!. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was so much involved with chemo. They certainly don't show that in movies or on TV. Great to hear you're doing OK for now. When that other shoe drops, throw out that pair of shoes and buy some new ones!

    ReplyDelete