Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Chemo Club


 
Nobody wants to join. We become members by circumstance –  like drawing the short straw. 

My chapter of the club gathers on Thursday mornings.  I’ve seen some of the same faces since I joined the club in October. Others have come in beginning their treatment; while others have left the group because they’ve finished treatment or their circumstances have changed. 

Like every club, we have a common bond. In this case its cancer. There’s a certain feeling in the room – a sense of compassion and camaraderie because of that bond.  It doesn’t matter that we probably are very different in every other way.  A few of them are clearly very ill, but others show no external signs of disease.  Some love to chat, some play computer games or read magazines or books. Occasionally someone will ask a person what kind of cancer is being treated; others may volunteer their condition, but I truly have no idea what cancer most of them have.  But it is clear from the smiles and the looks in everyone’s eyes that we are connected to one another. 

My final chemo treatment is coming up this week. I’m thrilled to be finally done. I’m really looking forward to having the chemo side effects going away.  But I’ll miss seeing the Thursday morning chemo club.  I’ll wonder how they’re doing and keep them in my prayers. 

I cannot end this post without adding praise for the staff at my treatment center. They’re all great.  Nurses, assistants, office staff.  I don’t have words to express my appreciation for their work, their compassion and their dedication.  Angels, all of them.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You should stay in contact, if not to visit but send cards etc to let them know you care. Selfishly, I'm glad you're done being part of that club.

    ReplyDelete